Please Note: Elementary, Remedial, Preview, ELL and Skills Development courses will not be offered this summer. We expect to offer an expanded Summer School program next year.
Due to the COVID-19 public health situation, 2020 Summer School will proceed differently with a much smaller scope and offer only Grade 10 – 12 Academic Completion courses for secondary students who are currently enrolled in a Vancouver Public school. These 6-week prepared courses will be offered online from July 2 to August 5, 2020. Students will be expected to check in daily with the classroom teacher who will be supporting their learning through MS Teams. Students must submit all assignments on time and fulfill all course requirements within the specified Summer School timeline.
If students require more flexibility in pacing, they can sign-up with Vancouver Learning Network (VLN), the Vancouver School Board’s Online program. Here students can start at any time, and can complete the course at any time, according to their pace and schedule. VLN also offers a wider range of courses beyond what is offered in the VSB Summer School. They are available to students both within and outside of the VSB. For more information, and to register, please go to http://vlns.ca.
Summer School Student Status and Fee Information
Students must be 18 or younger and have not yet graduated on June 30, 2020. Students may take up to two Ministry funded courses.
There is no fee for students who, along with their parents, are ordinarily residents of BC.
Current VSB International students or students whose parents do not normally reside in BC will be required to pay $1,880 per course.
Please note that 2020 Summer School registrations will only be available online.
Online registration starts on Monday, May 11th at 8:00 a.m. and is only open to students currently enrolled in a VSB school.
Students will need to register with their Personal Education Number (PEN) and date of birth. Payments, if required, can be done online.
Registration will be on a first-come, first-served basis
Registration will end on June 12, 2020.
Grade 12 students will not be able to register online. All Grade 12 students who wish to register for Summer School must seek permission from their home school administrator who will send a list of approved students and their requested courses to the Summer School Office.
ELL/Transitional students may register online but must seek permission from their home school administrator if they wish to take an English Language Arts or Social Studies course. The home school administrator will send a list of approved students and their requested courses to the Summer School Office. Any ELL/Transitional student who is not on the approved list will be withdrawn from the course.
Secondary Completion Program Information
Course Information - This program is intended for students who have not yet graduated and were born on or after July 1, 2001 and:
a) Wish to obtain credits toward secondary completion
b) Wish to improve their final mark or who have never taken the subject(s) and wish the opportunity to complete the course(s) during the summer
- Students will complete the 6-week course(s) from home, using BC curriculum prepared online courses, supported by a teacher through MS Teams.
- Students should apportion for each online course a minimum of 3.5 hours per day for a total minimum of 80 hours per course.
- Pre-requisite/Permission – Students must have successfully completed the pre-requisite course(s) for the course in which they wish to register. NOTE: Students with the appropriate pre-requisite do not require a letter of permission to take completion courses. ELL and Transitional students who wish to take a Secondary Completion English Language Arts and/or Social Studies elective courses, as well as Grade 12 students who do not meet graduation requirements must obtain permission from their Home School Principal. ELL/Transitional and non-graduate Grade 12 students who do not have the required permission will not be permitted to take the course.
- Attendance – Students are expected to check in daily. Students who fail to check in by July 6th, 2020 will be withdrawn from the course.
- Evaluation/Final Mark – Teachers will use a variety of assessment tools depending on the course.
Withdrawal / Refund Policy
If you are no longer able to continue with the online summer school course(s) for which you have registered, you must immediately email our summer school office (firstname.lastname@example.org) to withdraw from the course.
For International Students, no tuition refund will be issued for withdrawal for any reason once registered. A $100 administrative transfer fee will be charged for transferring from one class to another, if space is available.
The Right to Make Changes
The Vancouver School Board reserves the right to limit enrolment, change instructors and combine courses if enrolment minimums are not met. We also reserve the right to cancel a class due to low enrolment, or due to the unavailability of teachers. We cannot guarantee additional classes when enrolment surpasses expectations, so please register early.
To register for a Summer School course(s), please click here
Registration will open on May 11, 2020 at 8:00 a.m.