Secondary English Language Learning (ELL) Program
July 9-August 3 (Monday to Friday)
Churchill: 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. / 10:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. / 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Van Tech: 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. / 10:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. / 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Hamber: 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. / 10:50 a.m. to 12:50 p.m. / 1:20 p.m. to 3:20 p.m.
- Course Information - This program is designed to help ELL
students who will be attending a secondary school in the upcoming school year in the transition to mainstream courses. The program will be content-based and relevant to the existing school curriculum. The objectives of the program include:
- developing the students' English listening, speaking, reading and writing skills in both the academic and social levels;
- maintaining and improving the language proficiency of students.
- Various contents will be covered for each session.
- Permission/Pre-requisite -
- ASSESSMENT - At the beginning of the program, students will be assessed on their English language ability. The assessment will include a composition and a standardized reading comprehension measure.
- PLACEMENT - After the initial assessment, students will be placed into the appropriate groupings. (E.g. age appropriate, multi-level, ability levels). Some adjustments to placement may occur to meet students' needs.
- Evaluation/Mark - Evaluation is an on-going process which recognizes the individual learning of students. At Summer School, progress in language acquisition can be achieved through participation in all classroom activities. Teachers will keep a folder of each student’s work at Summer School. Summer School teachers or administrators will make NO placement recommendations to home schools.
- Registration Closing Date - Registration for Secondary ELL programs will close Friday, July 6, 2018.