Student Status and Student Status and Fee Information
Unless otherwise noted, the Ministry Of Education will fund all students who have a BC issued Personal Education Number (PEN), and are accepted into the Summer School program. Exceptions - Students who are classified as International Students or Out of Province Students. Please read below for more information:
British Columbia Students
Unless otherwise noted, the Ministry Of Education will fund all British Columbia students who have a BC issued Personal Education Number (PEN), and are accepted into the Summer School program with the exception of students who are classified as international or Out-of-Province.
All Elementary Programs:
Students are limited to one Ministry Funded course and must register in their current grade level as of June 30, 2018.
All Secondary Programs:
Students must be under age 19 and have not yet graduated on July 1, 2018. Student may take more than one Ministry funded courses.
Fee-Paying courses (not funded by Ministry) for Elementary and Secondary students:
Students may take any number of fee-based courses. See individual courses for applicable fees.
The BC Ministry of Education requires a valid BC issued Personal Education Number (PEN) to fund summer school students. However, students currently attending BC or Canadian schools who are designated as International Students are required to pay International fees. Additionally, the following students are required to pay International fees for Summer School:
- Students who reside in BC but whose parents do not normally reside in BC.
- Students who do not normally reside in BC, even if their parents reside in BC.
- 1) 40 Hour course: $900 + applicable book deposit
- 2) 85.5 Hour course: $1800 + applicable book deposit
See other courses for special fees.
Out of Province Students
Please refer to http://www.gov.bc.ca/bced/ and follow the links to Section 82 of the School Act Out Of Province Students The BC Ministry of Education requires a valid BC issued Personal Education Number (PEN) to fund Summer School students. Students who live in Canada, are not BC residents, and who are not International students, are required to pay the “Out Of Province“ fee.
Out of Province Fees:
- 1) 40 Hour course: $600+ applicable book deposit
- 2) 85.5 Hour course: $800+ applicable book deposit
See other courses for special fees.
4 Ways to Register
There is no fee for Ministry Funded courses.
If applicable, book deposit fees will be charged.
Note: withdrawals/transfers cannot be processed on the same day of registration
- ONLINE: All students must have a VSB Summer School online registration account to be able to register online. Please refer to our website: http://summer.vsb.bc.ca. You can use VISA / MasterCard to pay for courses that require a fee with our secure encrypted online registration process.
- PHONE IN: (Monday to Friday): Register by telephone at 604-713-4550 between 9:00am – 4:00 starting April 27. Please note that we are closed on May 21 and July 2. VISA / MasterCard is required if there is a fee.
- WALK-IN: (Monday to Friday): In person at the Vancouver School Board – Summer Program Office: 1580 West Broadway, between 9:00am – 4:00pm starting April 27. Please note that we are closed on May 21 and July 2.
- MAIL IN: Complete a registration form and mail to 1580 West Broadway, Vancouver, BC V6J 5K8. Include a cheque or Money Order if you are paying for fee-paying courses -DO NOT MAIL IN CREDIT CARD INFORMATION. Registration form must be received before July 7 and will be processed only when spaces are still available. Incomplete information on registration forms will be denied.
REGISTRATION CLOSING DATES: Please refer to each specific program for dates